Welcome to Momma Momma

Thanks for checking out my blog. This is a place for mothers to reduce stress, vent, discuss fashion that fits our style, exchange recipes, tips, advice and so much more. Please leave comments, I would love to hear your thoughts and you never know who you might help. Remember we are the safety pins that hold it together.

Blog of the Day

Grab My Button

Please subscribe !!!!!

Your email address:


Powered by FeedBlitz


About Me

My photo
I am a stay at home mother who left the work place almost four years ago. I have a M.A. in Clinical Psychology and have worked as a therapist with children and their families. I have two beautiful daughters and a wonderful husband who is now a full time minister.

I'm 2

I'm 2


How many times a day do you hear momma momma?

blog/> Get your own free Blogoversary button! Mommy & Family Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

Monday, December 8, 2008

If that were my child I would........

How many times have you heard this before? This probably should have been one of my first post. This evening I attended a school play with my two year old. Like most small children, after a day at church, in dress shoes all day, and an abbreviated nap, it became obvious after an hour and a half that she was cranky. Like most mothers who have had two year old, I was not surprised when it became evident that my daughter was ready to go at intermission and I had come prepared to make an early departure. I did all the typical toddler mom things, brought snacks, sat in the back and on an aisle seat. What I was not prepared for was the rudest of this other "mother." As my daughter began to toss and turn more and we made our exist (keep in mind that it was intermission and she was not disturbing the play) another woman yelled out, "I don't care if she is two and tired, I would whoop her tail!!"

Now, regardless of the different opinions about using spanking as a option of discipline (she said whoop her tail.....not spank) I was irritated that she felt the need to give her expert advise on Child Rearing 101. Why do other mothers always forget what their children were like or feel the need to tell you what they would have done? This doesn't apply to mommy support groups or blog such as this, where we seek the advice and opinion of others......I am referring to the random opinions and advice that strangers seem to give. Why is it that when you are at church, eating in a family restaurant or in public period, and your little one says out loud " Mommy look at that," or laughs because she finds something funny, people (usually other mothers) turn and look at you funny, with their noses in the air and shake their heads? How soon we forget.

Is it just me or have you had a similar experience? So from here on I refuse to call it the terrible 2's, I like the teachable 2's or the trainable 2's or even together time 2's.

5 comments:

Corrie at "Cents"able Momma said...

We were at Meijer a couple of months ago, and my 2 year old liked the way his voice echoed, so he was testing it a bit. I had an older lady come up to me and tell me I needed to keep my child quiet. It was bothering her. I thought she was kidding at first, but she was dead serious. I was a bit flabbergasted at first, but then I chalked it up to her having a bad day.

I hope that when my kids are grown up, I can remember what it felt like to be a mom of young children and have pity for them....not think what I could do better. It's hard enough to be a mom without others criticizing us when we're doing our best.

Shamrockgirl said...

i was out on a cold day picking up diapers from the store, and as i left with my baby in my jacket with me, i had a car drive by and the driver yelled out that i should not have my baby out in that weather! I wonder what they thought i should diaper him with since i was there to pick up diapers!

Anonymous said...

There are just some people that should be quiet...

Whether they forget that they had children at that age or didn't have children at all sometimes people forget babies are just that..."BABIES" Being 4 years removed, I can remember my child being on stage at a church program and sitting down on the front row and lifting up her dress while I was directing the group...some people laughed and others were whispering...something like "she should spank her for doing that" LOL! I thought it was a little cute myself.

I agree with Corrie except I don't think it's pity, but we can respect that the mothers are doing the best they can and understand...that we have all been down a road of "the terrific two's!"

Anonymous said...

How can anyone get upset at a 2 year old?? I don't have kids but I've learned a great deal watching my cousins and friends with their babies. A two year is just that..a two year old. Maybe someone should "whoop" that woman's tail..lolol..Im sure she's worse than a 2 year when she's tired or cranky! =D

but I admit I am guilty of giving a stern eye to a parent/child duo..but only when the child is like 7 or 8 years old (or even older for that matter) running around the store or restaurant with no home training! lol What happened to the real momma's (like mine) that used to say, "When we get in here, don't touch nothing, don't ask for nothing, as a matter of fact, just stay in the car with your brother" lolol

ModernMommy said...

I call it the Terrific Two's!
I can't stand it when other mothers judge each other. Now as I am writing this I am thinking of the many times I have given my opinion on child rearing practices on either my blog or someone elses. I prefer to think that I am not really judging other's just saying what I think is right. But for someone to come at you with a comment like that is just rude.